If you miss the old days of grandma's kitchen or your own mother's old fashioned cozy home, you can reconnect here and get a flavor for all things vintage, warm, cozy, special, and memorable!

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Nature's Bounty at summer's end

I had to take a drive to Ohio today on a buying trip.  Just when I was wondering when I was going to get where I was going, I noticed a produce stand at the side of the road next to a beautiful old red barn.  I pulled over and took a peek.  The stand was full of the most vivid colors of fruits and vegetables and colorful mums as well.  I forgot how much fun it is to buy these things right off the farm I am so accustomed to picking them up at my neighborhood mega grocer.  
I think sometimes we forget that we are helping our Michigan farmers when we go straight to the source when we can.  Yes convenience is great, I could have just waited and stopped at the fruit market near my home or like I said the major grocery chain. But here on this beautiful summer day, the green zucchini looked brighter, the pears looked juicier, the mums were fuller.  
I purchased what you see here, and was enveloped by that sweet melon smell all the way home!

1 comment:

  1. With the green beans, blanched to keep them green and crisp, I baked whitefish fillets, sprinkled lightly in bread crumbs, with a touch of butter on top of each fillet, then floating in a shallow pan of skim milk. With that, I made a salad containing fresh lettuce I had on hand, garnished with the garden fresh tomato and cucumber, some dried cranberries, whole pecans and a handful of shredded romano cheese sprinkled on top, and with honey dijon drizzled over the top. Sounds light, but it was a very filling dinner, and knowing the freshness of the salad ingredients and enjoying the flavor of the rest of the meal, well, it was very satisfying! Tomorrow, I will venture into baking some zucchini bread (although my sister Lela makes the best zucchini bread ever) and have dinner including the fresh corn, which the farmer assures me is the tastiest around. I will have to make a fruit cup using the melon..it smells so good and the pears...well, I can smell them way over here by my computer!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...