If you miss the old days of grandma's kitchen or your own mother's old fashioned cozy home, you can reconnect here and get a flavor for all things vintage, warm, cozy, special, and memorable!

Monday, September 26, 2011

Designing vignettes that showcase your style......

Notice the background for the wreath, next to the brick, over the walnut mantel, and the brass fireplace tools. A lot going on, but it seems to work!

Against a dark red backdrop, I have hung a fruit still life print, an ornate framed miniature picture, a solid copper mold,  and placed other accessories of colors that set off each of the prints.

Notice the chair rail that adds a touch of vintage to this arrangement...and I spent I think about $4 total creating this!

My "china" cupboard....free!

I like the bright white window trim and all the colors together here!
Over the years I have had to work with the design elements my home has, and the accessories I found here and there to create the look and feel of a country french home.  I love the colors red and yellow. That's my taste. Yours may be different and I am guessing it is. Finding interesting pieces and not spending top dollar is sort of my specialty.  This happened because I am a penny pincher and knowing I have acquired a decorative item that cost me a lot of money does not sit well with me. I prefer to happen upon really one of a kind accessories at thrift stores and the like.  Once I get them home, then the magic begins.


In my kitchen I had a cupboard in a strategic location where when the outdoor light came in, whatever was in it could be a focal point. However, the doors were closed up, and one would have to open them to see what was inside. I took my doors to a carpenter friend of mine who removed the raised panels within and replaced them with glass.  Now I had an instant china cabinet of sorts where my collection of china cups, saucers, and vintage place settings could be showcased with great pride.  I didn't go the step further, but if I did, I would have placed lace trim on the shelf edges just to add more vintage appeal.  If I wanted, I could add lights that shine down on the shelves and even make all the shelves glass.  Wouldn't that be pretty?


In another corner of my kitchen I arranged several items on the back splash of an otherwise dim lifeless corner. I curb picked a handsome still life print under glass, beautifully framed already, and placed it next to a substantive mustard gold canister ($2.50), a hanging solid copper mold ($1.99), and couple of ornately framed pictures ($1 and $2 respectively) and some interestingly shaped bottles of spiced oils ($ 1 for two smaller ones and $3.99 for the largest one).  It may look like a lot to have there in that space, but I tried to downsize the number of items here, and since it is a largely unused corner, I prefer to have these items there and they lend a wonderful array of color and light to the space.  I think I will keep this just this way!


In my family room, the fireplace is flanked by a red leather suede picture frame that holds a photo of my son with his 13 ft tall sun flower from Kindergarten. On the opposite end is a large wooden pineapple statue ($3.99 -Salvation Army) ,  and a rose berry wreath given to me by a friend, she was going to throw it out with yesterday's newspapers.  Who knew that these three accessories could come together against the yellowish wood grained backdrop and the brickwork of the chimney to create such a presentation...one that I am content to see every day I am in that room?


Over on one side of the family room against the window wall, I have married a country french flavor chair, a plaid throw pillow that matches the down filled couch, and an interesting shaped table with ornate legs.  Upon this table is a hurricane lamp that I had the base that only needed the mosaic glass hurricane ($2 - garage sale find)  to bring it to life.  Partnered with that is a "HOME" piece, a small turquoise pottery vase given to me from an aunt's belongings, and a cute checkerboard farmhouse style picture frame ($5.99 - Marshalls).  If you look beneath the table you will see the awesome spice cupboard that sits there, purchased at another thrift store for a mere $4.00.  I bought it to hang, but discovered that it looked so perfect there under the table. I decided to leave it there. Finally, notice the curtains on the window in a red and yellow toile juxtaposed with the plaid throw pillow on the chair?  I love mixing prints!  It is an inexpensive design trick that looks expensive!  And the colors in these additions were the colors of my room, so it works nicely together!
I am sharing an additional photo or two of picture arrangements.  You can see the colors are coordinated, the symmetry required to pull off the arrangements is there, and well, I think you get the idea about what I like. I want you to take away from this post how easy and inexpensive it is to create the same comfortable charm in your home without breaking the bank.  Find your color scheme, find the era you wish to represent, have fun finding the elements and sometimes, just wait 'til you see something you want in your surroundings and go from there to create your perfect vignette. Most of all, don't let anyone tell you they disapprove of your choices. Making your space a comfortable and happy space for you to enjoy should be your goal.  You may have to try and retry your set-ups.  You won't always achieve what you want your walls and backsplashes  to look like the first time out. Keep in mind also, it is best to surround yourself and display things that you feel passionate about or just love to have around.  You cannot go wrong when you go with your feelings.


I said I was a minimalist in my last post.  I am..really!  But that doesn't mean I cannot try to achieve the style and comfort in my surroundings that emulate what I am about and with those things that bring me joy and happiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...