If you miss the old days of grandma's kitchen or your own mother's old fashioned cozy home, you can reconnect here and get a flavor for all things vintage, warm, cozy, special, and memorable!

Thursday, December 29, 2011

My Favorite Things....all the elements of decorating for the holidays!

       It is now nearing the new years holiday and I am reflecting on my 51st Christmas.  Even though it has been many years, I still find myself  trying to remember the details of the earliest Christmas in my life..the one I had when I was 3 or four years old.  I remember the baby doll and bassinet I received from Santa.  I can feel my forehead wrinkling as I try to recall other details of my childhood Christmas holiday, and they are more detailed the older I became.  Some of the things that help these memories emerge are things like large old fashioned Xmas lights, silver and gold tinsel, silver aluminum artificial trees, red and green plastic wall hangings, and the sight of one of those cardboard fireplaces with the rotating colored disk in front of a light bulb imitating a roaring fire.  I do not put tinsel on my tree these days and I have reverted to an artificial one now. However, the Christmas tree in my house is just as beautiful and make just as grand of memories each year, although they are getting a bit more lean and simple.

        This year I enjoyed setting up the tree with clear lights.  I like that they don't compete with all the pretty ornaments I have.  I have acquired, over the years, a nice collection of "Shiny Brite" mercury ornaments. I can see all of the ornaments more clearly on the tree and it just looks neater.

        Over the years I have collected some beautiful bulbs and trinkets for the tree..some of which are mementos of trips or other things. The New York Taxi ornament reminds me of the trip my kids and I went on to NY over 10 years ago. That was the best trip, we all agree!  The over sized lolli pop ornament is one I bought at one of those after Christmas sales and would not have been able to buy ordinarily!
And then, adorning my tree are a myriad of other beautiful bulbs and what not, including an ornaments made by my children through their elementary school years...like this Styrofoam cup covered with glitter...bell!
       Others may cover their tree with ornaments costing so much more, but at this stage in my life, I just do not have the space to keep on buying new ones every year and adding more when I do not really need to.  I have enough extra to change up how the family tree looks year after year. Each one conjures up memories of Christmases past.

      I have not even touched on the beautiful things one can do with Christmas presents!  I used to professionally wrap gifts as a home based business and enjoyed what I could create from basic dollar store paper and inexpensive tie-ons.  I will share them with you on my holiday blog next year. I can't share all of my secrets in one blog after all!  :)


        I love to build my room around the tree with my furnishings and such.   Take this tree skirt for instance. I found it at an after Christmas sale for 90% off of it's original $360 + price tag. What made it special to me is the petite point Santas and the silken brocade material that unifies it all into a beautiful circular skirt.  Made in Italy.
This holiday vignette created for the coffee table combines a
gold velvet lined and glass topped jewel box with a tall clear vase filled with shiny red and gold bulbs and a family member's photograph.  In the background, you can see one of my favorite striped silk pillows settled on the couch, while the tree lights flank the left side.











        I call the chair below my "holiday chair".  It is an antique store find, made around the '40's (one of my favorite era's for home furnishings). I got it for way less than the posted price after a little bit of clever bargaining with the seller at an antique mall.  The accompanying pillow is of silk, down filled and another garage sale find (it helps to assist others in setting up their sales...you get first pick of all the good stuff.)  FYI:  It cost me only $2.00!  I have learned since then that the style of the chair is referred to as "bergere". 

         In a few days, New Years will be upon us and sadly, the tree will come down the following week. Even if I have to take over three days to re-pack and put away the myriad of baubles and bling that I put out,   I, for one, will miss is greatly as it has filled a space in my living room and in my family's heart, with all that is shiny,  beautiful and smile producing. Fortunate for all of us, though...with the passage of the winter holidays comes the promise of spring and beginning for the new year!

     Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year folks.  And may  God Bless us....everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...