If you miss the old days of grandma's kitchen or your own mother's old fashioned cozy home, you can reconnect here and get a flavor for all things vintage, warm, cozy, special, and memorable!

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Moving In and Putting it All Together in Time for the Holidays

I do not suppose that anyone who reads these posts about moving into a new place can claim that when they have done it the process went smoothly and it only took a short time to be done and done.  My situation had its up and downs.  Let me tell you how moving into my first house went and maybe you can feel better about yours.

Assembling a long list of people to actually haul my belongings was not really difficult. I have been blessed with many who may not see me on a daily, weekly or even monthly basis but they are there for the important times and know that they can count on me as well.  So with two weekends booked in which to get out of my apartment and move my things to my new place I carefully strategized on which rooms of things would go first and which could be relegated to the last Sunday that I would be able to occupy the old place. 


Two weekends prior to Thanksgiving I summoned my son who has a huge trailer and a nice truck as well.   Since none of my best friends was able and had a Jeep she came to help as well.  I had boxes stored up for the previous six weeks, taped, labeled and ready to go.  And since my cousin who would be living practically around the block from me contacted me on the first Saturday of moving weekend offering her truck, trailer and husband, I was in good stead to get all the boxes out on that first day, and the bigger furniture out the Sunday of that weekend.  It was not easy work. 

I created large 8 1/2 by 11" signs to glue on each and every sealed box to identify its contents.  Breakables were carefully wrapped in bubble wrap I had been collecting at work from the orders I received and disbursed at work. So I had plenty of boxes and bubble wrap and signage. 

It is so funny how a stack of boxes in a small bedroom can look like so little, until one begins to peel away the boxes in the front and begins to see what all is hiding behind.  let's just say that on that first day my cousin and her husband could not believe how small of a dent was made in the stuff set to go that morning to the new place. We took one trip and when I returned to the apartment to do an eyeball audit of the place I began to get pretty discouraged.


Come Sunday, my son and my best friend were there bright and early.  Of course my son balked at all the stuff and tried to lecture me on the evils of accumulation.  Again I had to remind him that I had downsized all I could and gotten rid of  or donated and what remained was what I absolutely needed to keep. Kids are that way....always telling me I can't take it with me. And as much as I know they are right, there are times when what I should have gotten rid of I have instead kept because I love to have my memories surrounding me no matter where I go.  And I know that the transition into the new place would only be something comfortable for me if I had my treasures there to comfort and accompany me.  To be thrown into a new place with the things I wanted around would make this whole process a little more daunting.  To me..anyway!  It's not BS at all.  And if you have been reading my blog continuously you would know that I am a very sentimental person and I am moving very slowly toward being practical.  I am only half way through this life and if I want to keep my memories in physical form a little longer there isn't anyone who is going to make me do anything different. I would rather come to my decisions about downsizing myself and not be forced into it.

I collect dishes and so many of the boxes that were being relocated first were those. I think I must have at least 15 large boxes of china sets.  I am today, very afraid to look at those dishes, because even though I reminded people of what was in the boxes and pointed out their labeling, there are not too many people who have the patience to handle so many with kid gloves.  One day I will open up each box and unfortunately take stock of what I expect to be some damage to the items nearest the bottom of the boxes.  Oh well, I guess it is to be expected.


By the end of the first Sunday I had moved some of my things.  The following weekend was more fun than ever.

That Sunday my Son came out again and this time brought his father.  Two minutes before he drove up I fell down the stairs outside the apartment and sprained my ankle. I was rendered totally useless. As my ankle swelled  I felt more helpless. I was relegated to sitting and pointing out where everyone who came to help me move was to place box after box that blew past me. "This one goes upstairs, the bedroom on the right. This one to the bedroom on the left.  this one goes to the bathroom, this one goes in the cellar, this one goes in the kitchen. This one you can take home if you like because I don't need it..."  was my song all day Sunday. 


For the next Thanksgiving week, I hopped, crawled and used a walker to get around hoping my ankle would heal enough to get back to work on that next Monday. It was just a good thing that the first week I had brought in most of my living room furniture and my bedroom mattress, otherwise I would have been a wreck.  And before I had sprained my ankle I had at least some semblance of a nice living room and bedroom together and had access to everything I needed to prepare for a workday in the house for the holidays. I had already put up my Christmas Tree and moved a chair out of the way to make room for it.

I loved setting up my walls with the green framed botanical prints I had been saving for four years..yes, four years!  they are prints of birds done by an artist for the Audobon Society and I cannot recall the name but they are originals professionally set in frames by a merchant in Birmingham Michigan.  There are eight framed prints in all and I had to be creative in hanging them on the wall and I think I got it right.  You can see the colors on the wall and trim were all done in cream color, perfect for the backdrop. I did not have to burden myself with lifting a paintbrush..it was all done.
I love the color of this piece!
The sofa is a Craigslist find. How lucky I was to get this in my possession before I even looked at house listings. It cost me a mere pittance and was in immaculate condition.  No need to reupholster or anything. I even rebuffed the idea of painting the woodwork on it..it is beautiful just the way it was when I found it.  The ottoman was purchased from a woman changing from traditional furniture to modern and the table beside the sofa was purchased from a man who was selling out his deceased mother's estate.  I had the other things from years of finds at the thrift stores. You already know what a great bit of luck I have had finding the coolest decorative accessories. 
The walls are a perfect color.

You will notice the architectural detail of the corner and I did not want to hide it since the other one is. And the bare wood floors (although laminate) are proving to be the perfect backdrop for the table, sofa and Christmas tree.  Anything I hung on the walls was there forever. I am not one to enjoy putting holes all over the walls. 




How do you like my fireplace?
How do you like my faux fireplace wall? It was the most creative way I could think of using a piece of the mantel I had created for my last apartment.  And that mirror?  I barely got out of the Salvation Army without five other women begging me to let them have it! I tell you...that is the best place I have ever shopped for the things I need to accessorize any room in the house.  And remember sometimes you have to do some digging in that place..things were piled in front of this piece leaning up against an obscure corner of the picture wall.  But I still found it!  The mini franklin stove was a QVC find for under $100.
 
I like the lighting as it was during the holidays. This room is full of windows, four of them, one at each end and two in the front.   The placement of all of the wall décor and furniture allows for maximum illumination during every season.  My tree never looked prettier or more at home and just the right size. Of course it did mean pulling out my white chair and kind of jamming up the entrance into the space. Oh well, it was only for a month.  The floor rug  is in a pretty light blue that catches the color on the walls in the kitchen and there are elements of blue in the upholstery of the sofa so it coordinated nicely but wasn't matchy matchy.


The other side of the LR was set for those and myself who just wanted to watch some television.  It's more modern but doesn't detract from the other side of the room in any way..not with the center of the room being the main entrance into the kitchen.  I have since added more artwork and an adhesive wall message over the sofa. I like those because they do not take up any wall space and require no holes in the wall either.  In the future I plan to hang up the TV on the wall and get that tall table out of there. This will open up the space even more.




 I liked the layout of the kitchen. But the rooster red cabinets have to go. I have begun painting them white but not quite done yet. I am blessed with a huge kitchen and tons of storage space.  I have my own stools with the saddle shape now sitting against the peninsula.  And I have put my glass cabinet up against that right wall.  I have a lot of painting to do. I will put the pendant lights in after I do the backsplash over the sink and stove which will be glass clear, sparkly and solid white mix tiles.  I have already replaced the curtains with white lace café curtains.  A wreath will be also hung over the window by the sink and a new lighting pendant will go there as well.


The kitchen was fine for now. The sellers had painted the walls and everything was clean as if they had hired a professional service to do it.  I plan to paint the cabinets white, add pendant lights to replace the pot lights over the peninsula, change out the main ceiling fixture and add a rolling island, small but functional, to sort of bridge the space between the stove and the sink area. The island will have seating for two as well.  My friends have said don't do it, so it is still sort of on the burner.  Over time I may decide to do something different with the floors, like do a tri-color slate treatment.  I have to decide if I could put up with floors that may be cold if I do that.  I have time to decide.

So that's all you need to see for now.  Spring will come and I will be moving on to the outdoors and adding some curb appeal to my little piece of heaven in White Lake.  Stand by.  And as you know, you are always welcome to just drop by!

Lovingly,

Kimber

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...