If you miss the old days of grandma's kitchen or your own mother's old fashioned cozy home, you can reconnect here and get a flavor for all things vintage, warm, cozy, special, and memorable!

Monday, September 17, 2012

Cleaning House

How much room do you have in your closets, basement, garage, and attic these days?  Have you accumulated more than you can actually keep?  Are your spaces bulging at the seams with no room for even a set of salt and pepper shakers? 


I found six of these also in the trash at an
antique store in my hometown! Mint!

It amazes me that when I moved into my house back in 1992, there was so much extra closet space. I have come to learn that the more space we are given, the more stuff we find to fill it.  Even in a 4 bedroom house with a library and garage and double wide closets in the bedrooms, there is more stuff in there than any one person should be allowed to have. It used to be fun before to bring home a new find and stash the old stuff away for "future use" or "safe keeping" but now I ask my self, what am I keeping it for?  What is my payoff?

My Victorian Wicker Rocker
found in the trash!

After having to actually take stock in all that I have saved (with good intentions in mind) for later, the economy took a dive and I find myself re-evaluating my priorities:  When there are so many with absolutely nothing like what I have been blessed to own over the years, why should I have so much stuff just occupying all the airspace?  I began to take stock and purge my closets and spaces and made a few trips to the Salvation Army.  The things that I did not donate, I listed on Craigslist with some great results.  The more expensive collectibles, I immediately listed on Ebay.  You know what? Not only did I make a few dollars to keep my family in the house and with bills paid, food on the table, but I also was able to know that the items I donated were not useless junk even to me, and the good work of that organization would be able to move forward between my donation and that of many others who believe in what they do.


They let me have this for $9.00 at a
local thrift store!

I want to share photos of some of the stuff I have listed on the various sites.  I thought it might be fun for you to see the kind of stuff I buy or find on the curb, and then just allow to sit around taking up space before I actually do something with it. You can tell I love old things...for some reason their vintage appeal resonates with me and brings me memories of the past that connect me to my grandma and a traditional lifestyle that appeals to me. 


My point in all of this is...realize what is important in life. Must one really accumulate to no end?  If you died tomorrow, God forbid, where would all of your collections of stuff move to?  Is anyone in the family appreciating your things right now?  Would they want to have to sort through all of it?  It just comes to a point where we realize what is important in life and learn that "stuff" just isn't important to anyone...but you.
Out with the old and and don't buy new...live with what you actually need. Become a minimalist. You will find that you like the end to the clutter and having to take care of so many things, and equally gratifying, you will be glad to know that between donating and selling, your things were put to their best use.  Til next time......  


This Bessie Pease Gutman
print just appealed to me
at $7.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...